Monday, August 18, 2014

St Louis

I took a break from the road, stayed two nights at the same place, ate a food with a salad, slept, and most of all rested. Soon car wash and off to the road I go.

Candy has ideas, and I have none, so let's see in the evening where the road took me.

I have to say this, that the staff in hotels have been so badly treated by the customers, that a little kindness gets me just about everything. I've never paid for a breakfast on this trip, since someone always gives me a ticket for it. I've never been without the best parking place, and in many hotels the valets go and check on Peter on their breaks, just to see if the cones they have in many places put around it, are still there.

My favorite one was Pete, a 50+ man, who really needed just a few kind words, and he took his break just to show me how to get to a shop last night. One of the drivers of this hotel went trough the trouble of driving to the Arch just to see how bad the roads are there so I wouldn't mess up Peter II. That's true kindness and it doesn't even go to the blond perk category, since it's just people returning a favor.


So next time when you feel like being mean to the people you see as the ones that will never mean anything to you, remember that in all of my life I have had more help from the people that most just ignore. Most people just want to be above the rest, and with that attitude condemn themselves at least in my eyes as the lowest scum on earth.


2 comments:

  1. Great advice. I spend a lot of time in restaurants, hotels, airports (yeah, traveling) and did "service" jobs in my youth. Yeah, people treat that group like an underclass in many ways. You see it a thousand times a day - no eye contact, no acknowledgment of their humanity - it really is remarkable. Instead of disdain, people should think "there but for the grace of [insert deity of your choice] of I." Anyway, glad you are enjoying your trip and getting kindness returned to you. Drive safely (but not so safely as to be boring... seriously, it's an M4).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I indeed did that all, and for the life of me, I can not understand why anyone would go to a beach instead of doing something like this. Damn I had the time of my life, and the blog and the post shows pretty well when the stuff was written under whiskey or the hangover that followed.

      Peter will never be driven carefully by me, I assure you, don't worry!

      Delete